Alpha BRAIN by Onnit is one of the most well-known nootropic stacks available.
Alpha BRAIN was first introduced in 2010 and has received a lot of media attention. Joe Rogan of the Joe Rogan Experience has endorsed and promoted the product on his podcast.
Despite its popularity and media exposure, it has received a lot of scrutiny from members of the nootropic community.
We will perform a closer examination of Alpha BRAIN to determine whether it has any merit as a nootropic or not.
Ingredients and Benefits of Alpha BRAIN
The first thing that gives me pause is the ingredients list. I’m not a big fan of companies that like to hide their formula behind proprietary blends.
There are plenty of companies that are transparent as to what ingredient and how much is included in their supplements.
Since we don’t know exactly how much of each ingredient is included in the blend, we’ll have to take a look at just the ingredients in the blends.
Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxine HCl) (10mg)
- Vitamin B6 plays an essential role in metabolizing food into energy, brain function and healthy hair and skin.
Onnit Flow Blend (L-Tyrosine, L-Theanine, Oat (straw) Extract, Phosphatidylserine) (650mg)
- L-Tyrosine is a non-essential amino acid used by cells to synthesis proteins and is a precursor to norepinephrine and believed helpful to reduce stress.
- L-Theanine is an amino acid found in green and black tea that is able to help with relaxation, focus and sleep.
- Oat straw is believed to increase longevity and for increasing energy, reducing anxiety and improving physical performance.
- Phosphatidylcholine may improve and protect memory and mental health and improve memory.
Cat’s Claw (bark) Extract (ac-11) (350mg)
- Cat’s Claw has a number of health benefits such as a treatment for viral infections, several stomach problems, and for general body and brain health.
Onnit Focus Blend (L-Alpha glycerylphosphorylcholine (GPC), Bacopa (aerial parts) Extract (100mg), Huperzia serrata (aerial parts) Extract [Standardized to 1% Huperzine A, 400mcg] ) (240mg)
- Alpha GPC is a choline compound found in the body and is a precursor to acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter.
- Bocopa monnieri is believed to enhance memory, mood, learning ability, and brain health.
- Huperzine A is believed to increase mental alertness and helps protect against age-related decline in the brain.
Onnit Fuel Blend (L-Leucine, Vinpocetine (5mg), Pterostilbene) (65mg)
- L-Leucine is an essential amino acid that is used in the biosynthesis of proteins. Most often taken by bodybuilders.
- Vinpocetine is known for enhancing cognition, memory and improving mood.
- Pterostilbene is the primary antioxidant component found in blueberries and is believed to improve the brain, heart and immune system.
I’m going to do a completely honest review of Alpha Brain by Onnit and Shroom Tech
Analysis of Alpha BRAIN
There is nothing in the ingredients list that makes me raise an eyebrow and question why it’s there. I admit that companies that choose to hide the ingredient dosages behind proprietary formulas, gives me pause.
But Alpha BRAIN has probably been under more public scrutiny than any other nootropic product in the market and it’s still a popular choice.
Those proprietary formulas must be doing something right!
It’s hard to judge how I think an ingredient will behave if I don’t know how much of it is in the product. So, I just have to defer to public opinion and the masses seem to agree that it works.
Alpha BRAIN Overview
Alpha BRAIN has been around a while, has been very well researched and still remains popular.
While initially very skeptical of it, the more I learned about it, the more convinced I became that it is worthwhile.
Since it has been around a while and has been very popular the whole time, I can recommend giving it a try.
It has held up under a lot of scrutiny, so I have to believe there has to be a reason!